Saturday, February 27, 2021

Art Nouveau Lady 1



This was a fun project. I had been wanting to study other artists' works. I have always appreciated the Art Nouveau period and thought I would take a stab at imitating one by Alphonse Mucha (1860-1939). I had also wanted to play around with my gouache paints. Back in November 2020, I drew the pencil sketch in a 5x8 Moleskine sketchbook. I liked it but didn't get back to it until this month. I used gouache, outlined parts of the image in black ink, then glued a fake gold leaf on the surface. It is hardly perfect but it was fun and different. Once it was finished I sprayed it with a coat of Krylon clear spray as recommended. That resulted in a milky coating over the entire image. I understand the coating is needed to protect the "gold" leaf from tarnishing. But before I use it again I need to do some research to find a sealer that does not change the finish.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment