Thursday, December 10, 2015

The small painting movement

I came to this movement only recently. In fact I started my project in August. I have done oriental brush painting and watercolor forever. But I secretly wanted to work on a canvas, no matting nor plexiglass. Plus there is a quiet snobbery that divides works on paper from works on canvas. In the summer I came across the book, Learn to Paint in Acrylics with 50 Small Paintings by Mark Daniel Nelson at my local library. Liked the concept so well I bought a copy and started working through the lessons. I almost skipped the beginnings ones because they were sooo basis I felt they weren't worth my time or paint. Then decided I would go page by page after all I was new to acrylics and didn't even know how to apply paint. Because you are copying his paintings I knew I would never hang, frame or show the paintings I decided to use a large book utilized by crafters, delusions creative journal. The pages are similar to those of the Moleskine sketchbook. Using artist white tape I taped out a 6" square which I then painted a base coat of  (white, gray, or black) gesso. This was done on the right hand page of a spread. That left the left page for notes. For the most part I found it harder to paint fron Nelson's paintings than my own photos or still life set ups. So after a while I started substituting my own set ups which reflected the aim of the lesson for the ones in the book. During this same time I was reading Carol Marine' book, Daily Painting which I highly recommend.

Today I finished my 50th small painting. I plan to continue painting in acrylic as well as doing my usual sketchbook drawing, oriental brush painting, and watercolor. This was a fun non-threatening way to step out of my comfort zone. I won't be posting my 50th painting because I actually copied Nelson's 50th painting, but I will post some of my own compositions in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment