Saturday, May 13, 2017

Gouache

This past week I got out my Schmincke gouache set, pulled a commercially made sketchbook off my shelf, and played around. I have done very little painting in gouache. When I start working with a new medium I have to remind myself not to expect too much but stick with it for a while. The sketchbook I am using has paper similar to the Moleskine sketchbooks. It reminds my of the manila file folders. It is not absorbent. I used a larger version of the sketchbook for my 50 small paintings in acrylics. In that book I did tape off a 6" square and paint a layer of gesso on each page. In one I just jumped right in with the gouache. I may experiment on some watercolor paper to see if that is actually a better surface. But for now I want to stick with the gouache until I fill this sketchbook. I call it a sketchbook but I think it is a craftbook used for creating mix media art books. 

I am learning to use more paint and less water, more like acrylics than watercolors. Plus I find it works best for me to put down a layer, let it dry then come back in with another layer. So far it seems to have all the drawbacks of watercolor and none of the advantages of acrylics. But maybe as I work with it longer I will get to know the medium better.


No comments:

Post a Comment